Vegetarian Wellington — This Wellington made from mostly organic products with a touch of Christmas. You can play with herbs and spices and use your favorite spices. It’s a wonderful collaboration because I consume organic products and encourage everyone to do it. There are countless reasons why the consumption of organic products is a necessity, just to name a few: organic products are full of nutrients, are definitely tastier and contain no pesticides or GMOs. Above all, we want to be green not only at Christmas but also for the New Year of our beloved planet.
- 120 ml olive oil
- 1 Tbs (~14 grams) butter (optional)
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 50 grams cranberries (optional- this gives soar taste which I love – you can skip this if you don’t like soar hint)
- 100 grams kale (or spinach if you prefer)
- 300 grams shitake mushrooms (or your favourite mushroom – chestnut mushroom would be great too!)
- 200 grams chestnuts
- 1 sage leaf (optional)
- A handful of fresh rosemary
- A large handful of fresh thyme
- 2 Tbs milk of choice
- 1 egg yolk
- Using the Olive oil fry the onion and garlic until they’re whittled, then add the herbs, spices, salt, pepper, the mushrooms and cook for few minutes (until mushrooms are ready). Add the chestnuts, cooked quinoa, craberries and kale towards the end. Let the mixture cool down.
- Lay the mixture on a piece of clingfilm and mould/roll tightly into a log shape (making a cylinder shape).
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the pastry on a dusted (floury) clean surface and make a rectangular shape. Place the log on the pastry (all on a baking paper) and remove the cling film carefully from the log (you can chill log for an hour or so if you want to make this process easier / less messy – I didn’t wait and it worked perfectly :-). Roll the pastry into the log and decorate with more pastry fun festive shapes.
- Brush the log with the mixture of egg yolk and milk (to give it nice crust and colour) and bake for 30 minutes until golden.
- Let it cool down and enjoy (I love mine with fresh pomegranate and cranberry juice)