Homemade sushi? Way too much work. Vegetarian sushi cups, on the other hand, are easy to pull off (not to mention totally adorable). No sushi mat is required because these cute two-bite appetizers are made in muffin tins. Plus, you don’t have to deal with any of that raw fish business.
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Nonstick spray
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sriracha, or more to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1⅓ cups diced European cucumber
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrot
- 1 avocado—halved, pitted and diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- MAKE THE RICE CUPS: In a medium pot, bring the rice and 1⅓ cups water to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and cook until the rice has absorbed the water, 17 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer the rice to a medium bowl and stir in the rice vinegar until the rice is sticky enough to hold together when you press it.
- Line each cavity of a 12-cup muffin pan with parchment paper and spray the paper lightly with nonstick spray.
- Visit Vegetarian Sushi Cups for full instructions