Dum Aloo — A north Indian curry made with baby potatoes simmered in onion and tomato based gravy, spiced beautifully with turmeric, red chili pepper, garam masala and a hint of dried fenugreek leaves!
- 10 baby potatoes peeled and cored from the top (save the carved out potato pieces)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger grated
- 2 tsp garlic grated
- 2 ripe red tomatoes pureed
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ -1 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder or any other mild red chili powder
- ½ -1 tsp of garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 8-10 cashews
- ¼ cup warm milk
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
- Cilantro leaves chopped for garnish
- Soak cashews in warm milk for 10 mins and set aside. Blend together to make smooth paste and reserve.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and heat add ghee. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes with a glass lid on, stirring few times. Add ginger and garlic paste, cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the carved out pieces from the potatoes. Add tomato puree, turmeric, red chili powder, garam, masala and salt. Cook everything on saute mode for 2 minutes with glass lid on, stirring a couple of times.
- With a small spoon, very carefully, as the gravy will be hot, fill the potatoes with the cooked masala/gravy and line them all in the IP insert. Add ½ cup of water. Close the Instant Pot, set on manual/pressure cook(Hi) for 8 minutes followed by Quick Release.
- Stir in dried fenugreek leaves, cashew paste and chopped cilantro. Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode and mix everything together. Add salt to taste. Bring to gentle boil and then turn the Instant Pot off. Serve with hot parathas.
Nutrition Facts. Amount Per Serving : Calories 344 | Calories from Fat 108 | Total Fat 12g | Saturated Fat 6g | Cholesterol 27mg | Sodium 783mg | Potassium 1353mg | Total Carbohydrates 52g | Dietary Fiber 7g | Sugars 6g | Protein 7g