Vegan Vegetable Lasagna. It’s the best vegan lasagna recipe, and I can not wait to share it with you. This recipe includes our homemade almond tofu ricotta cheese and our lentil bolognese sauce. With roasted vegetables, you get a delicious tasty family meal OR a meal that leaves plenty of leftover food for dinner all week.
The vegan lasagna consists of four layers: lentil bolognese sauce, cooked lasagna noodles, almond ricotta cheese, and roasted vegetables (eggplant, zucchini, and red pepper). Enjoy!
- 1 eggplant diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 2 red bell peppers diced
Lentil Bolognese Sauce
- 1/2 cup dry brown lentils
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 2 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Almond Tofu Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 3.5 ounces extra-firm tofu (1/4 of a 14 oz block – pressed)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened non-dairy yogurt (we used So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Yogurt)
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 leaves chopped basil (optional)
To Roast Vegetables
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Prepare vegetables. Dice eggplant, zucchini, and red bell peppers in 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces. Place diced vegetables onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Add salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes.
To Make Lentil Bolognese Sauce
- In a pot, add lentils and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cover, simmer for about 20 minutes. Using a colander, drain excess vegetable broth and set aside.
- Meanwhile, chop the vegetables. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large sauce pan on medium heat. Add mushrooms, grape tomatoes, yellow onion, garlic, and fresh basil. Stir frequently until vegetables are soft.
- Add cans of crushed tomatoes to vegetables in sauce pan. Add lentils. Mix to combine. Heat thoroughly and add salt/pepper to taste.
To Make Almond Ricotta Cheese
- Measure slivered almonds into a large bowl and cover with hot water. Soak for at least 30 minutes, or until soft. Drain remaining water once done soaking.
- Meanwhile, press the tofu in a tofu press or by wrapping in paper towels and setting a heavy pan on top for 15 minutes, changing out the paper towels halfway through.
- Add all ingredients into a food processor. Pulse and process, scraping down sides when needed, until smooth and thick.
To Make Lasagna
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Lower oven heat to 350F. Add sauce to bottom of 13×9-inch baking pan. Place lasagna noodles evenly on top of sauce. Spread vegan ricotta cheese on noodles, then top with roasted vegetables.
- Continue layering – Sauce, Noodles, Ricotta, Veggies – until all ingredients are used up, ending with a layer of sauce.
- Cover with tin foil and bake in oven at 350F for 25-30 minutes.