When we were in Mexico City recently, we ate so much delicious food that my brain was full of ideas. One of my main goals was to perfect a chicken broth (vegan) with tortilla soup, vegetables and jackfruit. I guess you see where that leads? Let’s make soup, friends.
- 1 1/2 cups rinsed, drained, and shredded jackfruit*, rinsed and sorted
- 3 Tbsp water, vegetable broth, or oil
- 1/2 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 small chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, loosely chopped (reduce or increase to preferred spice)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 5 cups vegetable broth (or store bought)
- 5 small corn tortillas (or use tortilla chips!)
- 2-3 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Lime wedges
- Cilantro (optional)
- Ripe avocado (optional)
- Thoroughly rinse and drain jackfruit. Then begin sorting. The pieces come in chunks or triangle shapes. Cut off the center “core” portion of the jackfruit that’s tougher in texture and separate it from the rest of the fruit. Then chop into smaller pieces. For the remaining portion of the jackfruit that appears more stringy, use your hands (or two forks) to pull into small shredded pieces. You’re aiming to separate the jackfruit into small, shredded/chopped pieces. Rinse the jackfruit once more in a colander, drain, and thoroughly dry. Set aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add vegetable broth, diced onion, and minced garlic. Saute, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add rinsed and shredded jackfruit and saute for 4-5 minutes to get some color and dry out jackfruit.
- Add chipotle peppers, salt, and cumin. Saute, stirring frequently, for 3-4 more minutes. Add the remaining vegetable broth and bring back to a low boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for at least 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more sea salt for saltiness, cumin for smokiness, or chipotle peppers or adobo sauce for heat. Once seasoned to taste, turn heat off to rest soup before serving.
- In the meantime, heat oven to 380 degrees F (190 C). (If using tortilla chips, you can skip this step.) Cut corn tortillas into bite-sized strips and transfer to a baking sheet. Add 2-3 tablespoons of avocado oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss to coat (amounts as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Arrange in a single layer on a baking pan and bake for 10-15 minutes or until they are golden brown. Watch carefully toward the end or they can burn!
- To serve, place tortilla strips or chips in serving bowls, top with soup, and garnish with desired toppings such as avocado, cilantro, lime wedges (optional). Store cooled leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 1 month. Store any leftover tortilla strips at room temperature up to 2-3 days.
*1 20-ounce can of jackfruit yields roughtly 1 1/2 cups of drained jackfruit. *Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with lesser amount of avocado oil and without optional ingredients. Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 4 (Bowls)): Calories: 217 | Fat: 8.1g | Saturated fat: 1g | Sodium: 1338mg | Potassium: 181mg | Carbohydrates: 36.1g | Fiber: 3.2g | Sugar: 2.5g | Protein: 2.7g