Vegan Spicy Lemongrass Soup is ideal for an aromatic soup. The broth contains a lot of lemon juice, lots of lime juice, a sweet taste of tomatoes, a little crunch and a spicy sweetness of celery, spices of Thai red curry paste and a touch of earthy and shiny lemongrass . I feel like it reminds of the vegan buns I’ve tried so far, mostly because of lemongrass and spices, but it’s not at all the same dish.
For The Marinated Tofu:
- 1 block tofu, pressed and cut into 1/2 inch thick slabs
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed or finely minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oil
For The Soup:
- 1 tbsp oil (I used grapeseed)
- 2 green onions, white parts chopped diagonally into 1-inch pieces, greens finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp (or 4 tsp) Thai red curry paste
- 1 tbsp finely minced lemongrass (I used frozen, but fresh works too)
- 1 L vegetable broth (I used 1 L water + ~1 tbsp mushroom broth powder)
- 3 stalks celery, sliced thin on a diagonal
- 3 bunches mung bean noodles (glass noodles), soaked in hot water until softened
- 1/2 cup snap peas, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups baby spinach (or greens of your choice, like bok choy, yu choy or mustard greens)
- 1 lime, juiced
For The Marinated Tofu:
- Combine tamari, apple cider vinegar, coconut sugar or maple syrup, water, garlic, and onion powder.
- Submerged cut tofu in marinade and let sit in the fridge for at least an hour.
- To cook, fry up tofu in oil until golden on each side. Use some of the marinade while cooking to add extra flavour.
To Make The Soup:
- Soften glass noodles in hot water until softened, then drain.
- Preheat a pot over medium heat. Add oil and fry onions until translucent.
- Add red curry paste and lemongrass and fry until fragrant. You may need to add a little water/broth to help the paste dissolve. Add the rest of the broth (or water + mushroom powder) and bring water a boil.
- Add celery and cook for about 3-5 minutes, until just tender with a tiny bit of crunch.
- Add drained and softened noodles to the pot and cook for another 3-4 minutes under tender.
- Add snap peas and chopped tomatoes and stir, cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in baby spinach until just wilted.
- Remove from heat and serve with half of a juiced lime in each bowl. Top with fried marinated tofu, and enjoy!
Author : Lisa Le