Change your cooking routine with these Vegan Carrot hotdogs. They are so easy to make – just steam, marinate and grill until they’re perfect!
- 8 large carrots , peeled & cut to the size of hot dog buns
- 8 hot dog buns (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil , or preferred oil
- 1/3 cup gluten-free tamari , low sodium (sub soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (sub agave)
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
In a medium bowl, whisk all marinade ingredients well. Set aside.
Place about 1 ” of water into a large pot that will fit your steamer basket. Place your basket on the bottom and cover pot with a lid. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat to med-low to maintain a low boil and place carrots in basket. Cover and cook until carrots are tender throughout, about 20-25 minutes. *Keep an eye on the water so it doesn’t fully evaporate. Add more hot water if needed.
In a 2-quart baking dish (or similar), arrange the carrot so they all lay flat on the bottom. Pour the marinade on top of the carrots. Turn a few times and then spoon marinade on the top side of carrots. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 2-3 hours, turning once at the halfway mark and spoon mixture on top side of carrots again.
Preheat your grill to med-high heat. Grill carrots for 2-3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned and they have charred grill marks (* You can also use a lightly oiled grill pan over medium heat). Place buns on the grill for 1-2 minutes for grill marks (*watch carefully).
Dress you carrot dogs up and serve immediately! (*see notes for ideas)Enjoy!
- Topping ideas: ketchup, mustard, vegan mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, salsa, hot sauce, chipotle sauce, relish, pickles, diced onion, roasted corn, jalapeños, fresh herbs, vegan sour cream, shredded vegan cheese, sauerkraut, pepperoncini and vegan bacon.
- Prep time doesn’t include marinating time of 2-3 hours.
Serving: 1(1 carrot dog) | Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 290mg | Potassium: 365mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 244.3% | Vitamin C: 5.8% | Calcium: 10.5% | Iron: 11.6%