Spicy Chickpea Veggie Burgers With Jalapeño And Zucchini — topped with a tasty honey-lime slaw and fiery Sriracha mayo. These are my tastiest veggie burgers yet! These burgers are 100% vegetarian with an easy peasy vegan swap and gluten-free to boot. They’re also dairy-free, though I’ll totally look the other way if you melt a slice of Pepper Jack on top of your burger!
FOR THE BURGERS:
- 1.5 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 15 oz canned chickpeas drained + rinsed
- 1/3 cup finely diced bell pepper (any color)
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1-2 TBSP green onion (white + green portions)
- 1/2 TBSP avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 4 onion roll buns see post for GF swaps
- leafy green lettuce of choice for topping
FOR THE SLAW:
- 1 heaping cup cabbage finely chopped/shredded
- 1/2 a fresh jalapeño sliced thin (optional)
- 1/2 TBSP honey
- 1/2 TBSP avocado oil
- juice of 1 lime or to taste
- a pinch of salt
- fresh cilantro optional + to taste
FOR THE SRIRACHA AIOLI:
- 1/3 cup quality mayo
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1-2 TBSP Sriracha or to taste
- 1/8-1/4 tsp garlic powder
Combine ingredients for the aioli and whisk. Set aside.
For the slaw, combine all ingredients and adjust to taste. Set aside.
Combine oats and chickpeas in food processor and pulse a few times to roughly chop the chickpeas and oats. Mixture should look chopped but not be paste-like or wet/mushy.
Set aside and grab those veggies!
Remove the stem from the jalapeño. For spicier burgers, leave the veins and seeds intact. For less spicy burgers remove half or all of the veins/seeds. I left half intact and removed the rest for burgers with a spicy kick and lots of flavor!
If you haven’t already, grate the zucchini using the coarse side of a box grater and wrap in a paper towel. Squeeze out excess moisture and set aside.
Sauté bell pepper, jalapeño, zucchini and green onion in avocado oil until peppers are tender.
Season with garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, and salt.
Add the freshly sauteed veggies to your bean mixture, then add your egg.
Stir to fully incorporate and roll mixture into four balls.
- Visit Spicy Chickpea Veggie Burgers With Jalapeño And Zucchini for full instructions
Nutrition Facts. AMOUNT PER SERVING (1 PATTY): CALORIES 147 | CALORIES FROM FAT 36% | TOTAL FAT 4G 6% | TOTAL CARBOHYDRATES 21G 7% | PROTEIN 7G 14%