These perfectly shaped and decorated sugar cookies are my favorite cut-out cookies for the Christmas season and any other festive occasion! Use the simple icing recipe to easily frost these cut-out Christmas cookies with a delicate smooth finish.
For the Sugar Cookies:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Easy Icing:
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter , melted
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring , optional
- Sprinkles and other decorations , optional
Cream together the sugar and butter with a mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, then the vanilla and mix until combined. Stir in the sour cream and beat on high speed for 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl at the end.
In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and beat on low until just combined. Divide the dough in half and wrap each half tightly with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or up to 3 days.
- Visit Soft Christmas Cut-Out Sugar Cookies with Easy Icing for full instructions