All you have to do is walk past the grocery store on your way home tonight and take away five things: a scallop pound, a bottle of white wine, an organic chicken broth, a lime and a bunch of coriander. In about half an hour, you can put a bowl of pasta or rice with golden scallops in a sparkling garlic broth on the table. Aren’t scallops wonderful?
- 1 pound linguine
- Olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 packed cup finely chopped cilantro, plus more to garnish
- 1 pound bay or sea scallops
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large pot of water to boiling and salt generously. When at a rolling boil, add the linguine and cook for 9 to 11 minutes or until al dente. Drain the pasta, return it to the cooking pot, and toss with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan heat a drizzle of olive oil over low heat and cook the garlic for 3 minutes or until golden and fragrant. If desired, add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Add the white wine and cook for 2 minutes, until slightly reduced. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Squeeze in the lime juice, add the cilantro, and taste and adjust seasoning. Keep warm at a low simmer while you cook the scallops.
- Heat a heavy frying pan over high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil.
- If cooking larger sea scallops, place them in the pan (don’t crowd it) and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 1/2 minutes then flip. Cook for 3 minutes total. They should develop a golden sear on each side.
- If cooking the smaller bay scallops add the scallops and cook very quickly, shaking and stirring, until they are barely golden on the outside and warm within. This will take 1 to 2 minutes.
- To serve, fill 2 to 4 bowls with pasta. Divide the scallops between the bowls and pour the warm broth over them. Garnish with additional cilantro and eat immediately.
Nutrition Information : Per serving, based on 2 servings. (% daily value) Calories 1232 | Fat 18.1 g (27.8%) | Saturated 3.2 g (15.9%) | Carbs 193 g (64.3%) | Fiber 8.9 g (35.6%) | Sugars 10.8 g | Protein 63.9 g (127.7%) | Sodium 1820 mg (75.8%)