- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 10 cups (~18 oz) mini marshmallows (separated into 8 cups and 2 cups)
- 6 cups (~6 oz) crisped rice
- A bunch of plastic Easter eggs
- Cooking spray
- White chocolate melting wafers (and milk or dark chocolate if you so choose)
- Food coloring (I used blue, red, and green)
Note: I recommend measuring out your marshmallows and rice Krispies ahead of time, so you can quickly add them when the time comes.
- In a large pot, melt the butter on low heat, making sure to stir constantly so it won’t brown. Note: I like to use a wooden spatula because it makes mixing the marshmallows and cereal a lot easier than a bendy spatula.
- Pour in 8 cups of marshmallows and stir constantly until all the lumps are gone. But be careful not to let it cook too long or the treats end up hard to chew. As soon as it’s all melted, turn off the burner and move the pot away from the heat.
- Another straightforward step. Pour in all of the Rice Krispies and mix until it’s all combined.
- For that extra softness, I like to put in extra marshmallows. Use the 2 leftover cups and pour them in after everything else is mixed and while it’s still warm. Mix them in and you have yourself some super delicious rice crispy treat “dough”. Since we’re not spreading it into a pan to make normal rice Krispy treats, it’s a good idea to pour the mix into a bowl, so the still hot pan doesn’t keep cooking it.
- It’s time to decorate some Easter eggs! I recommend getting melting wafers for this. Chocolate chips or a chocolate bar just does not work as well. I bought white melting wafers and colored them with a very little bit of food coloring to get the pastel shades I wanted. I also ended up doing some with milk chocolate too, though I wish I had thought ahead and bought wafers for that instead of just melting a chocolate bar. (It doesn’t set up as well and ends up melting when you hold the egg.) Note: I set my bowls in trays of hot water to keep the melted wafers from hardening before I finished using them.
Visit Rice Krispy Treat Easter Eggs to read the full recipes