Quinoa Stuffed Butternut Squash — Delicious, healthy Stuffed Butternut Squash with Quinoa, Cranberries, Kale, and Chickpeas. An easy, satisfying vegetarian recipe that’s perfect for fall! Great for a holiday (or any day!).
- 2 medium butternut squash — about 2 1/2 pounds each
- 2 teaspoons olive oil — divided
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth — or chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale — stems removed and chopped (about 6 lightly packed cups)
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt — plus additional for roasting squash
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper — plus additional for roasting squash
- 1 can low sodium chickpeas — (15 ounces), rinsed and drained
- Zest of 1 orange — plus 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup reduced sugar dried cranberries
- Grated Parmesan cheese — or crumbled feta cheese, optional
Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Halve the butternut squash, scoop out the seeds, then arrange the halves on a baking tray, cut sides up. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Bake 45-55 minutes, just until the squash is fork tender. Remove from the oven and let cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
While the squash is baking, place the broth in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the quinoa, return to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for 12 minutes, until most of the broth is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork, then set aside.
- Visit Quinoa Stuffed Butternut Squash for full instructions