My husband has horrible taste in television. It’s not all bad but I’ve been subjected to some awful TV. And as I type this I’m watching Van Wilder’s something or another. And the remote? Across the room on the couch far, far away from me (really it’s only a few feet away from me but I’m lazy so it feels like miles). But despite this annoying habit, I love my husband and I vowed “for better or worse”. And so I made him these pepperoni pizza puffs. They’re like bite size pizzas baked into muffin pan. We had them for dinner with a side salad but I’d recommend them for appetizers too. They’re kind of like pizza but puffy and a little like a quiche but loaded with pizza flavor. Feel free to make them with your favorite toppings.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- pinch of salt (my addition, optional)
- pinch of red pepper flakes (my addition, optional)
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cubed pepperoni
- 1/2 cup store-bought pizza sauce
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 24-cup mini-muffin pan. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, salt and red pepper flakes (if using) ; whisk in the milk and egg. Stir in the mozzarella, Parmesan and pepperoni; let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2. Stir the batter and divide among the mini-muffin cups. Bake until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, microwave the pizza sauce until warmed through. Serve the puffs with the pizza sauce for dipping.
NOTE: All my batter did not fit into the 24-mini muffin pan. So I made a full size muffin with the leftover batter. Some pans are larger than others so you may not have have an issue.