If you’re looking for a recipe that works extra well to make the day before, this layered chocolate pudding dessert is a great one. I actually prefer to make it in advance, as the extra time in the refrigerator allows the whole pan to chill thoroughly and firm up. Just make sure that the pan can remain chilled until it’s ready to serve.
FOR THE SALTED PECAN CRUST:
- 1-1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1/3 cup Finely Chopped Pecans
- 9 Tablespoons Cold Unsalted Butter
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE LAYER:
- 12 ounces, weight Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1-1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 12 ounces, weight Cool Whip, Divided (1 1/2 Cups For Cream Cheese Layer, Remaining For Cool Whip Layer)
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE PUDDING LAYER:
- 2 boxes (3.9 Oz. Size) Chocolate Fudge Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
- 4 cups Cold Whole Milk
FOR THE COOL WHIP LAYER:
- Remaining Cool Whip From Cream Cheese Layer
- 2 ounces, weight Shaved Dark Chocolate From A Bar
For the salted pecan crust:
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, salt, and pecans. Cut in butter with a rigid pastry cutter or a fork until crumbly. Press mixture evenly onto bottom of 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake for 18–20 minutes, or until crust is set and slightly browned. It should smell nice and toasty, buttery and nutty. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
For the cream cheese layer:
- With a blender, whip cream cheese and powdered sugar until completely smooth. With a rubber spatula, fold in 1-1/2 cups of Cool Whip from the 12-ounce container until combined. Spread mixture onto cooled crust.
- Refrigerate while preparing the next layer.
For the chocolate pudding layer:
- In a medium bowl, whisk pudding with milk for 2 minutes. Pudding will become more and more thick as you whisk.
- Spread pudding evenly over cream cheese layer.
Visit Layered Chocolate Pudding Dessert for full instructions