- 1 bar of soap (any kind you want)
- 1 cup of Borax
- 1 cup of washing soda
- a big pot ( that holds more than 2 gallons)
- a grater
- a funnel
- a long spoon
- 2 empty gallon jugs/containers
- Grate your bar of soap into your pot.
- Fill one gallon jug and pour water into pot with grated soap. Cook until the grated soap dissolves.
- Add the Borax and washing soda.
- Bring to a boil. It will coagulate.
- Turn off the heat. Add 1 gallon of cold water. Stir well.
- Pour 1 gallon of your detergent into each container.
- A funnel helps tremendously.
Now you have 2 gallons of homemade laundry detergent. I use 1/2 cup per load. With the prices of detergent being outrageous, I feel really happy every time I make a batch of this.
This won’t make many, if any, suds. Suds don’t equal clean. It took a while to get that into my head. This detergent cleans wonderfully!