Healthy Loaded Quinoa Tacos — These vegetarian tacos are a bit outside the box, since the filling is made of quinoa! The quinoa filling is toasted and filled with taco spices and lime. Then combine it with a bell pepper slaw, spicy sour cream, and feta cheese, and you’ve got a new level of delicious. Oh and pickled red onions for color and crunch!
- 1 cup Simply Nature Organic Quinoa
- 2 cups Simply Nature Organic Vegetable Broth
- 3 tablespoons Simply Nature Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon each: cumin and paprika
- 1 teaspoon each: garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 green onions
- 1 lime
- 1 bell peppers (we used 1/2 red and 1/2 orange)
- 4 cups Simply Nature Organic Spring Mix
- Sour cream (+ a few shakes of hot sauce, as desired) or hummus for vegan*
- Feta cheese crumbles (omit for vegan)
- Pickled red onions (optional; if using, make in advance)
- 10 to 12 corn tortillas
- Cook the quinoa: In a dry pan over medium heat, add the dry quinoa and toast it over medium heat, stirring frequently. After a few minutes you’ll start to hear a popping sound; continue stirring until the quinoa just starts to brown and smell toasty, about 3 to 4 minutes total.
- Immediately transfer the quinoa to a fine mesh strainer and rinse it in the sink. Return it to the pot and add the vegetable broth and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer where the broth is just bubbling for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the broth has been completely absorbed. (Check by pulling back the quinoa with a fork to see if broth remains.) Turn off the heat and let sit with the lid on to steam for 5 minutes, then fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- Visit Healthy Loaded Quinoa Tacos for full instructions