Crockpot Chicken Veggie Quinoa Soup — This soup is not only keeping you from wasting any small amounts of veggies, but it’s also tasty, filling, and very healthy. Cook this soup on low and it turns into more of a stew (also good, just depends on what you like.) For a very brothy soup, you can always add in more broth and make sure to cook it just until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- 1 pound (~2 large) boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4-6 thighs
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can corn
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery 2 stalks
- 1/3 cup diced yellow onion
- 3/4 cup quinoa I use garlic infused packet
- 1/2 cup orange juice or extra broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 5 cups chicken broth or stock
- Seasoned salt and pepper
- 1-2 leaves bay
- 1 teaspoon chicken seasoning blend or 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning*
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Toppings: low-fat sour cream, fresh cilantro, fresh lime wedges or lime juice
Trim the fat off the chicken breasts or thighs. If using breasts, cut each breast into 3 large even pieces.
Place the chicken breasts or thighs in the bottom of a large crockpot. I use a 6 quart crockpot.
Add in the drained and rinsed pinto beans, drained corn, thinly sliced carrots, sliced celery, diced onion, quinoa (rinse if not pre-rinsed to remove the bitter saponin coating), orange juice (or extra broth), undrained can of diced tomatoes with green chiles (such as Ro-Tel), tomato paste, minced garlic, and chicken broth or stock.
Add about 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (or to taste) and 1 teaspoon pepper (or to taste), bay leaves, chicken seasoning blend, cajun seasoning, oregano, ground cumin, and paprika.
- Visit Crockpot Chicken Veggie Quinoa Soup for full instructions