Sometimes, you just need a warm, comforting supper; something that will fill your belly and keep you satisfied.
Let me show you how it goes together.
- 1 whole chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken),
- thinly sliced honey ham
- thinly sliced baby Swiss cheese
- Dijon mustard
- white pepper
- For the topping you will need: more butter (duh!), panko bread crumbs, seasoning salt and parsley.
- Roughly chop the ham.
- Butter a baking dish. I like to hold onto a stick of butter with the wrapper, but if you like to get your hands greasy, that’s alright, too.
- Place the shredded or diced chicken in the bottom of the pan.
- Put the chopped ham on top.
- Place the sliced cheese on top of the ham.
- Now make the white sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook until bubbly and smooth. Slowly add the milk. Cook until thickened. Add the lemon juice, mustard, salt, paprika and white pepper. Bring up to a boil and remove from heat.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken/ham/cheese in the pan.
- Time to make the topping: Melt the butter. Stir in the breadcrumbs, seasoning salt and parsley.
- Sprinkle the topping over the sauce-laden chicken/ham/cheese.
- Bake at 350ºF until bubbly and the topping is lightly browned.