- 100g unsalted butter, very softened at room temperature
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 1/4 tsp vanilla paste
- 225g all purpose flour plus more for kneading and dusting
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4/350ºF/160ºC fan-forced.
- Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment or a spatula, beat butter and sugar together until fluffy, then beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Sift the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and mix gently to combine. Halve the dough, form into discs, wrap each half in clingfilm and rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour
- To shape, use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll the dough on a floured surface. Sprinkle more flour as you roll the dough into a thickness of about ½ cm or ¼ inch. If the finished mixture is too sticky to be rolled, add more flour, but do it sparingly as too much will make the dough tough. Cut into shapes, and place the biscuits about 2 cm apart on the baking trays that are lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 8-12 min or lightly golden around the edges. Please note that the baking time may vary depending on the sizes and shapes of your cookies. For instance, I have baked mine for 12 mins.
- Transfer the cookies onto a wire rack for them to cool completely
Visit Bake for Happy Kids to read the full recipes