Here is my version of this classic dish – not that I have any claim to being an authority on what is “authentic” Chinese food. I am an authority, however, on what is super incredibly yummy. This rice gets my stamp of approval, with honors. It is better than takeout, and you can enjoy skipping all the mysterious, unhealthy parts of fast food.
BETTER-THAN-TAKEOUT CHICKEN FRIED RICE
- 1 cup rice
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I recommend slow cooker chicken teriyaki)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil (or you can substitute butter!)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
Optional: sesame seeds
- Prepare 1 cup rice with two cups water in a rice cooker or on the stove top.
- Meanwhile, heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, peas, and carrots. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Crack eggs into pan and scramble, mixing with vegetables.
- Add rice, chicken, and soy sauce to pan. Stir to combine and remove from heat.