The first time I tried Amish cinnamon bread I fell in love. It was so good! Unlike coffee cakes and sweet breads that I had tried, this was very moist with just the perfect touch of sweetness.
Over time though, I got weary of kneading the mix everyday, adding this or that ingredient, and separating the batter to give to a friend. For a while I resorted to freezing the batter, but soon I just gave up.
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups milk plus 2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Cream together butter, 2 cups of sugar, and eggs.
- Add milk, flour, and baking soda.
- Put 1/2 of batter (or a little less) into greased loaf pans (1/4 in each pan).
- Mix in separate bowl the 2/3 c sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle 3/4 of cinnamon mixture on top of the 1/2 batter in each pan.
- Add remaining batter to pans; sprinkle with last of cinnamon topping.
- Swirl with a knife.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 min. or until toothpick tester come clean.
- Cool in pan for 20 minutes before removing from pan.