6. Turkey Meatball Spinach Tortellini Soup
For the Meatballs:
- 10 oz 93% ground turkey
- 2 tbsp seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano)
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
For the soup:
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled & chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans reduced sodium chicken broth (I used Swansons)
- 1 small Parmigiano-Reggiano rind (optional)
- 9 oz refrigerated spinach cheese tortellini (Buitoni)fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano for topping
- Combine the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, garlic, salt and parmesan cheese.
- Using your (clean) hands, gently mix all the ingredients well until everything is combined.
- Form small meatballs, about 1 tbsp each, you’ll get about 20 to 22.
- In a large nonstick pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- When melted, add the celery, onion, carrot & garlic.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the chicken broth and parmesan rind and increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- When broth boils, season with black pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium and gently drop in the meatballs.
- Cook about 4 minutes.
- Add the tortellini and simmer until cooked according to package directions, about 7 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove the rind, and add the baby spinach.
- Stir to combine and serve topped with fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Freestyle Points: 6 Points +: 7/ Calories: 271 calories /Total Fat: 9g /Saturated Fat: 1g /Cholesterol: 89mg /Sodium: 1064mg /Carbohydrates: 26g/ Fiber: 3g /Sugar: 3g /Protein: 20g.