15. Turkey Meatball & Vegetable Soup with Cheesy Crostini
For the Turkey Meatball & Vegetable Soup
- 1 egg
- 3/4 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise then sliced crosswise
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
For the Cheesy Crostini
- 1 baguette, thinly sliced
- Olive oil1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Make the soup: In large bowl, lightly beat egg. Add turkey, breadcrumbs, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir (or mix with hands) until just combined. Do not overmix. Using hands, gently form into small (slightly smaller than a golf ball) meatballs and place on large plate or baking pan.
- In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots; cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in broth; heat to boiling. Stir in tomatoes, zucchini and green beans. Gently drop in meatballs. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until meatballs reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, make crostini: Heat broiler to high heat. Place baguette slices on rimmed baking pan and lightly brush with oil. Place under broiler and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp, watching very carefully. Spread crostini with ricotta and sprinkle with mozzarella and pepper. Return to broiler and cook 1 minute or until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve soup with crostini.