10. Italian Wedding Soup with Turkey and Tortellini
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, , plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, , minced
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves, , finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, , minced
- 1 cup carrots, , 1/4-inch dice
- 3/4 cup celery, , 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, , divided
- 8 cups chicken broth, unsalted (64 ounces)
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini
- 4 cups baby spinach, (4 ounces)
Place oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to broil. Line a large sheet pan will foil and grease with olive oil. Set aside.
In a medium sized bowl a turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup onion, parsley, oregano, 1 teaspoon garlic, black pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix to combine well. Roll meatball mixture into 2 tablespoon-sized balls (about 1 1/4-inch in diameter). Make about 20 to 22 meatballs. Evenly place meatballs onto greased sheet pan. Broil for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned on top. Remove from oven and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot. Add 1/2 teaspoon garlic, onion, carrots, and celery. Saute until softened, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, stir and cook another 2 minutes.
Add chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling add the meatballs and cook 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-high and add tortellini. Cook for 7 minutes or according to manufacturer’s instructions. Turn off heat.
Add the spinach and stir into soup until wilted, about a minute. Taste soup and season with more salt and pepper as needed.
Serve soup topped with grated parmesan cheese and freshly cracked black pepper. Enjoy hot!